Wednesday 19 March 2008

Ooompah Loompas, Fish and Chips, and Milano


"Well, I'm back." As Sam Gamgee said. An odd journey all round. I don't really enjoy travelling alone - it's just one worry after another - if the train's late, i'll miss the airport shuttle. If I miss the airport shuttle I'll miss the plane, etc etc. This time it was Harrogate to Liverpool by public transport - a journey that actually cheered me up a lot when I realized that if I try very hard I may never have to go to Warrington again. Oh, and I saw an Ooompah Loompah in Warrington - not in stature, but exactly the right shade of cancer shop orange. I even started to hum the Ooompah Loompah song until I caught myself... Then it was Liverpool to Milan by Ryan Air. Gods know what visitors to the European city of culture 2008 must think when they fly in - the airport is surrounded by the most depressing looking seedy estates - or Liverpool as it's known (boom tish) But really - it's almost onto the "scary" end of the deprived sink estate scale.
Did I say I was flying to Milan? Well, Milan AREA. Bergamo airport is some 30 miles from Milan - good job I was being picked up. A full on day of meetings, 8am-6.30pm followed by traditional Italian cuisine - fish and chips. Really. Sort of fish and chips. Braised Sea Bass with Artichoke Hearts and sliced potato, with a side order of chips. Yum. With freshly made lemon sorbet for desert. Double yum. And a Sardinian liquer - Mirto - to finish off - all herby and Myrtle (y), but on first taste, remarkably like Sloe Gin. Yum and hic. Nice, simple, family run restaurant, which was a relief because Milan made me feel as if I was dressed by an east european cousin of Worzel Gummidge. Especially as I'd dressed for winter/spring and it was 21 degrees. Still, my Italian skills are improving, although exactly how useful the phrase "look at that badly dressed sweaty man!" will be in the future I don't know.
Then back to the airport, onto a plane to Leeds, onto the bus to Harrogate, into the car to pick up trouble in trousers times two from school.
Reports to write now...all subtitled "Why you should employ me as an obscenely well paid consultant". Fingers crossed.

No comments: