Monday 3 March 2008

I've been begun.

I always thought that beginnings are wonderful things, little parcels of hope wrapped up in childhood sunshine. But they're unpredictable buggers too - sneaking up behind you and shaking you by the shoulders. And although the signs were there, beginnings can still surprise and shock. I've been royally begun. Last month, after 10 years in an interesting and reasonably well paid job, I resigned. With a mortgage, family and life to support I just jacked it in. Without a clue as to what to do next. I must be a fucking idiot. So why do I feel so good? Well, (and I'm saying this so that when I look back I can point at this with hollow laughter) karma has come up trumps in as far as I've been given the choice of at least three paths to go down. This is where the story begins. Which path to take? Well, all of them obviously. So I'll be trying to wear a number of different hats from now on - there's the sensible hat: starting a web based distribution business in an industry I know nothing about. I think that this hat is probably an Isembard Kingdom Brunel type stovepipe hat, under which I can be a captain of industry, all gruff and Yorkshire grit. The second hat is the chancer's hat - starting a games development studio - an industry I do (at least) know something about - but it's high risk, high reward stuff. This is probably a "Flash Harry from St. Trinians" type of trilby - a hat that can release the wheeler dealer, artsy fartsy geek about town within. And as for the third hat, well that's the salaryman's hat - setting up a UK business for a foreign company (again in the games industry) that promises a fat monthly cheque, and the opportunity to do exactly what i was doing before, only for someone else. Flat cap - definately. Perfect for doffing or wringing between the hands in an "Ayee signor! The bandits they are comeeeng" sort of way. There are also a few other hats that have caught my eye, but for the moment - three will do. Fuck me, I'm turning into Mr Benn. The terrifying thing is... it's all up to me now.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Welcome to the blogosphere!

Path splits are strange things. It's sounds like your doing the right thing though - weighing up the odds. Blogs are good at that. DragonDrop often acts as a sounding board for me.

I'm also confronted with a path split myself at the moment. Do I take steady job, or do I re re invent myself as a maverick freelancer again?

Tricky, without the use of time travel, to decide.

Anyway - I wish you all the best with your decisions.

daren said...

i thought i'd take this opportunity whilst sitting in the doctor's waiting room waiting for the practice nurse to pierce my arm with a needle and syringe full of anti flu gloop, to stick a milestone in your blog. it's eight(ish) months now since you started this blog of consistently engaging, clever mind mapping and observation. i'm not saying this to 'big you up' necessarily, but even if i didn't know you as a goodly mate i would regularly come back and read your blog, in the same way i would look out for an article written by Clarkson...or Fry. Good stuff Lord Ott3r of Camp Moonie. Carry on.